Winston Churchill once said, “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” A major contributor to continuing is motivation. Which begs the question: How do you stay motivated in business?
“Running a business is like riding on a roller coaster. Although it is fun and exciting, there will be times when you’ll be scared and feel powerless. During the bad times there isn’t much you can do, other than to keep on pushing forward,” according to Neil Patel, the co-founder of Crazy Egg and KISSmetrics.
How Successful Entrepreneurs Stay Motivated
Being your own boss is rewarding, exciting and challenging, thus we all look for ways to remain motivated and inspired. So, we asked 35 successful entrepreneurs to share what keeps them going and here’s what they had to say:
1. “‘Each new day brings an opportunity to get it right.’ This mantra simply means if you don’t accomplish all your goals, to-do lists, or even land that big sales contract, there is always tomorrow to get it right. Tomorrow always brings a new opportunity to be better, stronger, more efficient, and get it right. Simple and true.”
– Erika A. Salter, Founder/Executive Producer of Salter Entertainment Group, LLC
2. “If I don’t take the initiative to act, someone else will. I keep a notepad next to my bed so that I can capture those late night or middle of the night ideas and act on them the next day. Motivation is telling myself that “There may be better ideas out there, but I will not be out-worked by my competitors”.”
– John Ostman, VP Sales/Marketing and Creative Director of Probus OneTouch / Snap Agency
3. “I know working hard to grow my business will allow me to give back to my community. I have always wanted to make a difference in the lives around me, and I see my business as a catalyst to allow me to do that. Plus, it’s a heck of a lot of fun.”
– Erika Welsh, Co-Founder at Wild Squirrel Nut Butter
4. “Today will be the day” and “If this idea does not work I have 4 or 5 more to try”. I get up visualizing that my apps will get really popular soon and, if they do not work as expected, I will just develop another idea that will be successful.
– Alberto Daccarett Armijo, Co-Founder of VocaBoca and Noneed2call
5. “Visiting my friends at their offices and seeing them working in cubicles. That sort of corporate lifestyle is the exact thing I don’t want with my life because it would stifle my creativity and keep me from expanding my horizons and success!”
– Betsy Hauser Founder and President of Flexiruggz LLC
Colored Elephant Studios